PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NOT A PREREQUISITE TO ENTER INTO THIS COMPETITION AND A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING.
Please read these official rules and conditions of the CourtRecords Scholarship Essay Competition (the "Competition") completely to fully understand the Competition requirements. By submitting an Essay to participate in this Essay Competition, you and—for applicants who are minors—your legal guardian/parents(s) agree to be bound by these Official Scholarship Rules and Conditions. You understand that any violation of these Official Rules and Conditions will result in your disqualification from being considered for the scholarship offered by CourtRecords. Please do not submit an essay to participate in the Competition if you do not agree to these Official Rules and Conditions.
Any information contained in this document refers to the Competition offered by CourtRecords and its affiliates ("together", "we", "us" and "our''). ("You", "Applicant", or "Entrant") refers to any person who submits an Essay to participate in the Competition, as well as their legal representatives, guardian, or parent if a minor. These Official Rules and Conditions may be revised, updated, or replaced from time to time.
All applicants under the age of eighteen (18) or minors at the time of submission of Essay must accompany their Essay with the Parental Consent for Publication form, signed by at least one (1) of their parents and/or legal guardians.
ARTICLE 1: ELIGIBILITY
To participate in the Competition an Entrant must:
- Be legally resident in one of the fifty (50) United States or Washington DC
- Be a current college freshman, or in any undergraduate or graduate program.
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age, or the age of majority in their state of residency, (if the majority age in their states of residency is older than 18), at the time of Essay submission. If a minor participates in this Competition and is not able to provide the required parental or guardian consent or permission,CourtRecords may reject their application at any time during the Competition,or withdraw their prize or exclude them from further participation in the Competition as deemed fit.
- All Entrants and Essay entries are subject to verification by CourtRecords, prior to the award of the Scholarship Prize, as well as the age, eligibility, and all other information submitted by a potential winner. A potential Prize winner may be required to sign an affidavit confirming their eligibility.
Employees, directors, and officers of CourtRecords or its affiliates (and their immediate families and household members, whether or not related) are not eligible to participate in this Competition. This Competition and eligibility to participate is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and may be void where prohibited or restricted by law.
ARTICLE 2: ENTRY PERIOD
The Entry Period for the Competition begins at 12:00 AM (EST) on September 1st, 2020, and ends at 11:59 PM (EST) on September 1st, 2021 (the "Entry Period"). CourtRecords reserves the right to change, transfer, amend, extend. reduce, postpone, and or cancel the Competition for any reason whatsoever. CourtRecords is not liable for any and all changes to the Competition, and the Entry Period. Notice of any changes to the Entry Period will be posted on this website.
ARTICLE 3: HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN TWO EASY STEPS
- Step 1: Entrant must personally write one (1) essay (in the English language), that consists of a minimum of 1000 and a maximum of 1500 words ("Essay")
- Step 2: Submit a complete Essay on the CourtRecords Scholarship website (www.CourtRecords.org/scholarship/form/) using the form provided, by the stated submission deadline.
Essays must be submitted and received within the specified entry period. An Essay received later than the stipulated entry period will not be considered. An Entrant may submit no more than one (1) Essay. Any attempt to submit multiple Essays by using different identities, forms, email addresses, or any other strategies will result in the disqualification of the Entrant(s) and the associated Essay entries will be void.
Personal information provided by an Entrant must be correct and complete. An Entrant who submits an Essay under a name other than their given first and last names or provides incorrect or incomplete personal details will be disqualified from receiving the Prize if they win. CourtRecords reserves the right to disqualify anyone for failure to comply with these Rules and Conditions at any time whatsoever.
Every Essay received by CourtRecords for participation in this Competition becomes the exclusive property of CourtRecords once submitted. Essay submissions may or may not be acknowledged. Once submitted, Essays will not be returned for any reason whatsoever.
By submitting an Essay, entrant warrants and represent that any Essay submitted to CourtRecords is their original and unique effort which they have personally created for the specific purpose of the Scholarship Competition and is not plagiarized, derived or copied from any other source and does not infringe or violate any publicity right, privacy right, copyright, or other intellectual property rights of any third party. Entrant further represents that they own the rights, including copyrights, in and to the Essay, and have the sole rights to convey any and all right and title in and to the Essay.
By submitting an Essay, Entrant hereby grants CourtRecords and its affiliates a perpetual, irrevocable, fully paid-up, royalty-free, transferrable, sublicensable, license to copy, edit, display, republish, perform, store, broadcast, distribute, create derivative works of, adapt, modify, publish, and exclusively use the Essay, along with the Entrants' name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by the Entrant (excluding their physical address, phone numbers, email addresses) at any time in the future in any and all media, for advertising or promotional purposes and in any other way associated with the Competition, without further permission, notice, or compensation to the Entrant, their successors, assigns, any other person or entity (except where prohibited or to the limit restricted by law).
Entrants hereby agree that CourtRecords may display the Essay on the CourtRecords website (www.CourtRecords.org) without any fee or other form of compensation.
ARTICLE 4: JUDGING THE COMPETITION
CourtRecords will select and approve its panel of judges. An Essay will qualify for consideration only if the Entrant is determined to be eligible. The judges will place the greatest emphasis on:
- Compliance with requirements of original content and format
- How well the Essay answers the Competition questions
- Quality and originality of the submission, including creativity, clarity, and organization of ideas, as well as grammar, spelling, and proper citing of sources.
Entrants agree to be bound by terms of these Rules and Conditions and by the decisions of CourtRecords, which are final and binding on all matters relating to the Competition.
Entrants need not be present to win and are prohibited from contacting any member of CourtRecords with regards to their chances of winning the Competition.
ARTICLE 5: NOTIFICATION OF THE WINNER
The tentative announcement date for the winner of the scholarship is October 1st, 2021. Potential winners will be notified within seven (7) days of the selection by email at the address provided on the "Entrant's contact information" submitted with the Essay. Each potential winner will be required to claim their prize, sign and return to CourtRecords an affidavit of eligibility, a liability, and publicity release, a W-9 tax form, and such other documents as CourtRecords may require within seven (7) business days of notification (the "Required Documents"). Upon receipt of the Prize claim and required documents, CourtRecords will deem the potential winner to be a Winner.
If a potential winner is unreachable or does not respond to notification of winning within 72 hours, the CourtRecords staff reserves the right to select an alternate winner. An alternate scholarship winner may also be selected if the affidavit/release and other required documents are not presented by the potential winner within the stipulated time frame, or if the winner fails to claim the scholarship prize. If the winner does not claim the scholarship, CourtRecords has the sole discretion in selecting an alternate winner.
ARTICLE 6: THE PRIZE
The winning Entrant will receive a check in the amount of US$1,500.00 (One Thousand Five Hundred Dollars and Zero Cents). The next two runner-up positions (second and third places) will each receive a check for $500.00 (Five Hundred Dollars and Zero Cents). The prize money may be used without restriction in the winning Entrant's sole discretion, but in a way that we hope will contribute to furthering their education. The check will be sent to the winner by U.S. First Class Mail or by other means of transmission selected by CourtRecords at its sole discretion, within five (5) business days of CourtRecords' selection of the winning Essay.
The total approximate retail value of the first place prize available in the Competition is $1,500.00. The total approximate retail value of the second and third place prizes available in the Competition is $500.00. All taxes and any other costs related to the prize not explicitly stated within these Official Rules and Conditions are the sole responsibility of the Winner. The prize is issued in the name of the winner and is not transferable, non-assignable, and non-negotiable. A prize must be accepted as awarded. Prizes are awarded "AS IS" with no warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact, or in law, made by CourtRecords or for which CourtRecords may be held liable, including, without limitation, any implied warranties of merchantability, non-infringement or fitness for a particular purpose.
CourtRecords is not liable for any damage or loss resulting from participating in this Competition or from assigning or sending the prize.
ARTICLE 7: ADDITIONAL TERMS AND RULES
- By entering or participating in the Competition, Entrants (legal representative/ guardian. Parents of a minor) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and Conditions. The Entrant takes full responsibility for participating in this Competition.
- CourtRecords assumes no responsibility for electronic, hardware, programming or software malfunctions, or failures, internet or network connections, accessibility or availability, technical failures of any kind, unauthorized human intervention, the incorrect or inaccurate capture of any Essay entry or other information, or for the failure to capture any such information.
- CourtRecords is not responsible for (1) any incorrect, intelligible, or inaccurate information, whether caused by an Entrant or other Entrants, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition; (2) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the essay submission process or the Competition; (3) technical or human error, which may occur in the administration of the Competition or the processing of essay entries; or (4) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participation in the Competition, receipt or use or misuse of any prize, or any prize-related activity. No technical, machine, electronic, human factor, spelling, notification, or other errors may be invoked as grounds for damages or any obligation on the part of CourtRecords.
- CourtRecords is not responsible for late, incomplete, incomprehensible, invalid technically incompatible, corrupt, or misdirected entries, all of which are void. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt of an Essay by CourtRecords. CourtRecords is not responsible for damage to entries that occur during the process of uploading or storage and makes no warranties as to the integrity, availability, or functionality of any systems at the time of submission of Essay or at any time. CourtRecords reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the participation process, operation of the Competition, or acting in violation of the Official Rules and Conditions in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner.
- If for any reason, it becomes impossible or overly difficult to proceed with the Competition, as planned, by reason of infectious diseases, pandemic, epidemic, tampering, or other unauthorized technical or human intervention, fraud, technical or mechanical failures, or any other causes which, in the sole evaluation of CourtRecords, may compromise the administration, security, fairness or integrity of the Competition, CourtRecords reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition, and select the winner of the Competition, from the legitimate entries received prior to the action taken, or in other such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by CourtRecords, as permitted by law. CourtRecords' failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules and Conditions shall not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision.
- Entrants, by participating in the Competition (and, if a minor, their parent or legal guardian), hereby waive, discharge and release, and agree to hold harmless CourtRecords, its promotions and advertising agencies, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, advertising and promotions agencies and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (collectively, "Released Parties"), from and against, any and all rights, claims and causes of action whatsoever that they may have, or which may arise, against any of them for any liability, resulting injury or loss, including but not limited to any injury, loss, damage, whether direct, compensatory, incidental or consequential, to person, including death, loss of mobility and property, arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from their acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the Competition Prize, or their participation in the Competition, or their participation in any Competition or prize-related activity,or any travel related to the Competition or any travel for any prize-related activity. Each Entrant also further acknowledges that no Released Party has either made or is in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact, or in-law relative to any prize or the Competition including but not limited to quality, condition or fitness for a particular purpose.
ARTICLE 8: DISPUTES
Except where prohibited or restricted by law, each entrant agrees that:
- Any and all disputes, claims, cause of action that may arise out of or are connected to the scholarship Competition/program or any prize awarded will be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts or the appropriate State Court located in Massachusetts.
- Any and all claims, judgments, and awards will be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred specifically or associated with submitting an Essay to participate in this scholarship Competition and shall in no event include attorneys' fees.
- Regardless of the dispute, and under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
- If any provision of these Official Rules and Conditions is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be illegal, invalid, or unenforceable, the remaining provisions will remain in full force and effect and such illegal, invalid, or unenforceable provision will be interpreted to fulfill its intended purpose to the maximum extent permitted by law.
The terms of these Official Rules and Conditions will be binding on each Entrant, their legal representative, heirs, beneficiaries, executors, successors and/or assigns.
ARTICLE 9: APPLICABLE LAW
These Official Rules and Conditions shall be construed under, and all questions relating to their interpretation, validity, and enforceability as well as any rights and responsibilities of any Entrants and/or their legal representative, parent, or guardian shall be governed by the laws of the United States of America.
ARTICLES 10: PROTECTION OF ENTRANT'S INFORMATION
CourtRecords will not sell the information provided by the Entrant or use the Entrant's information in any manner not already stated in these rules and conditions as it relates to the scholarship Competition.