The Boston Globe reports that a man was murdered because a mob boss feared he would testify against him, according to prosecutors. The trial of mob boss Francis “Cadillac Frank” Salemme began on Wednesday. Steven A. DiSarro had been summoned to meet with Salemme on May 10, 1993 at a house in Sharon before his disappearance.

Salemme and his son, who is now deceased, had hidden ownership in a nightclub of DiSarro’s, called “The Channel.” Salemme thought DiSarro was working with the FBI and was helping to build a case against him. Salemme survived an assassination attempt in 1989 and eventually took control of the Boston Mafia.

Salemme’s son strangled DiSarro while another man held his legs. The second man, Paul M. Weadick, is now 62 and is pleading not guilty. DiSarro was never seen again and his remains were uncovered 23 years later when a drug dealer in Providence told the federal agents where his body was buried. DiSarro had five children, who were all in the courtroom Wednesday.

The defense claims Salemme is innocent and slammed the credibility of one of the prosecution’s witnesses, Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi, who was an associate of James “Whitey” Bulger. Flemmi has killed 10 people, according to the defense.

Weadick’s lawyer says he was just a plumber in Burlington and the evidence points toward Salemme.

The credibility of another prosecution witness, Bobby DeLuca, was also attacked. DeLuca is expected to testify that he had to dispose of the body.

Salemme was the boss of the New England Mafia in the 90s after he served 15 years for the attempted murder of a lawyer in 1968. In 1999, he cooperated with authorities against Bulger and Flemmi when he learned they were FBI informants. He then served eight years and entered into the federal protection program.

He was later kicked out of the program in 2004 because he was charged with lying about DiSarro’s murder, but reentered it in 2009.

DiSarro’s remains were found in Providence in 2016 and Salemme ran, but was eventually tracked down in Connecticut. He had $28,000 in cash on him when he was arrested.

*Photo credit FBI