How to Obtain Divorce Certificates in Louisiana?
There are times long after getting divorced when you need to obtain a copy of your divorce certificate for insurance, legal or other purposes to verify your name change, marital status or identity. You can obtain yours in Louisiana by following the procedure below.
Louisiana only allows access to divorce records to parties involved and close family relatives. The list below details who can access your divorce records:
- Either party.
- Children of either party.
- Either parent of each party involved.
- Siblings of either party.
- Grandparents of either party.
- An authorized legal representative with proper documentation.
The Louisiana Department of Health does not keep records of divorce, and therefore you must use the court system where your divorce was granted.
You will need to fill out an application and submit it along with the following information:
- Both names of parties on the record (including maiden names).
- Parish where the divorce was granted.
- Date the divorced was filed.
- Date the divorce was finalized.
- Case or certificate number of the original certificate.
- Your name, address, and phone number.
- The purpose of the copy.
If you do not have the specific dates, you can ask the court to do a general search within a date range. It will take between 2-10 days for processing of your search and copy. You also have the option of searching and requesting a copy online. Some county sites do offer this service and fees are involved.
The fees for a copy will vary by parish or county, and you should check beforehand to see what the cost would be before visiting in person.
If you have trouble using the court system or want to explore other options, you can use an online service like VitalChek.com and search and order a copy of your divorce certificate there. They offer expedited service for an additional charge, and you can pay the fees with a credit card.
You can also contact your original divorce attorney to help you obtain a copy.
If they don’t have it on-hand, they can obtain one for you.