How to Obtain Birth Certificates in Arizona
At times you will need to validate your identity and citizenship or your age. You can do this using a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you have lost yours or need another copy, you can follow the process below to obtain one if you were born in Arizona.
Arizona has strict eligibility laws about who can order a copy of your birth certificate. Only specific people may have access such as:
- Your parents.
- A legal guardian or foster parent.
- A spouse.
- An adult child.
- An adult sibling.
- A grandparent.
- An attorney representing you, with proper authorization.
- An adoption agency who represents either your biological or adoptive parents.
- A court authorized entity.
Since the Arizona Department of Health Services Bureau no longer accepts walk-in visits, you must visit your local county health department Office of Vital Records to apply for a copy of your birth certificate.
First, you will need to fill out an application with the information below and provide a valid photo ID such as driver’s license, passport, or military ID.
- The number of copies requested.
- Purpose of the request.
- Payment method.
- Date of birth.
- Full name on birth certificate.
- City of birth.
- County of birth.
- Hospital name.
- Mother’s full name.
- Father’s full name.
- If you belong to an Arizona tribe.
- Tribe info, if yes.
- Applicant’s full name, address, and phone number.
- Applicant’s email address.
- Applicant’s signature.
- Relationship to the person on record.
You must pay a non-refundable $20 fee per copy along with an $11 processing fee. When applying by mail, you must also include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your application.
Fees can be paid by credit or debit card, cashier’s check or money order only.
You also have the option of using an online service such as VitalChek.com to locate and order a copy of your birth certificate. This service is government-approved for certified copies, and you can order expedited shipping to get them quicker. You may also pay online using a debit or credit card.