How To Obtain a Marriage License or Certificate in Illinois?
If you or your spouse-to-be are a big Chicago Bulls fan, Illinois might just be the perfect destination for your wedding. The state boasts of farms, forests and rolling hills. Illinois is known as the prairie state and home one of the largest cities in the U.S., Chicago.
Rules and Regulations
You may have heard that Chicago is the windy city, but you will also need to know a few rules and regulations before walking down the aisle in Illinois.
- If you are 16-18 years of age and want to be married, you will require parental consent. Both of your parents will need to be there in person.
- The legal age to be married in Illinois is 18.
- You do not need to be a resident of Illinois.
- Same-sex marriage is legal.
- Cousin marriage is legal if both parties are 50 years old or older.
- A blood test is not necessary.
How to Apply
Couples must apply in person together at the county clerk’s office to obtain a marriage license in Idaho. Be sure you bring all the necessary paperwork so the trip won’t be wasted.
- You must prove your age and identity with a certified copy of your birth certificate, your driver’s license or state ID.
- If you were married previously, you need to have the date of dissolution and how the marriage ended (death/divorce). If you were divorced six months prior, you would need to bring a certified copy of your divorce decree.
- Bring your $60 fee in cash (only) at the time of application.
Waiting Period and Expiration
There is a 24-hour waiting period which you need to observe. However, you can receive your marriage certificate while you wait when applying. Your marriage license is good for only 60 days (beginning the day after issue date) so make sure to tie the knot before it expires.
Who Can Officiate
Only ordained ministers, preachers or other religious officials may solemnize your marriage ceremony.
After the Wedding
If you wish to change your name, you will need to pick up a name change kit for your name change to be legal. Your officiant will fill out the bottom portion of your marriage certificate and return to the Clerk’s Office. You may obtain a copy for your records by contacting or visiting the Vital Rec-ords office in your county. Some countries offer few types you can purchase (standard, wallet and commemorative style).