How To Obtain a Marriage License or Certificate in Hawaii?
Many people choose Hawaii for their destination wedding. Who could blame them with miles of gorgeous beaches, secluded islands, waterfalls, tropical food, and foliage?
Rules and Regulations
Choosing Hawaii for your journey down the aisle is a beautiful choice, but before you make that trip, you need to know a few of the rules.
- The legal age to be married in Hawaii is 15, with parental consent (both parents). Parents do not need to be a resident of the state.
- You must be 18 years or older to be married without parental consent.
- Residency is not required.
- No blood test is needed.
- You do not need witnesses.
- Cousin marriages are legal, but that is the closest blood relative you can marry.
- Same-sex marriage is legal.
How to Apply
Both of you must apply in person at the office of a marriage license agent. You must bring with you the following paperwork to obtain your marriage license in Hawaii:
- Valid ID (driver’s license, passport, birth certificate)
- If you are 18 years old or younger, you must bring with you, your birth certificate.
- If you have been divorced within 30 days, you will need to bring your divorce paperwork.
- There is a $65 fee which includes your copy of the certificate.
You may also apply online and then appear in person to pick up your marriage license.
The marriage license and certificate are two separate documents. The marriage license allows you to be married and the certificate documents the marriage.
Waiting Period and Expiration
There is no waiting period; you will receive your marriage license the same day. The permit is only good for 30 days, so plan your wedding day accordingly.
The license is ONLY good within the state of Hawaii but may be used anywhere in the state.
Who Can Officiate
Only Hawaii licensed officiants can perform wedding ceremonies in the state. You can obtain a list of them from the marriage license agent when you apply.
After the Wedding
Your officiant will file your marriage license, and the certificate will be mailed to you automatically. No additional fees apply.
If you wish to change your name, you will need to pick up a name change kit for your name change to be legal.